Connect with us

NEWS

Trump releases classified files on JFK assassination. Here’s what they say…

Published

on

Trump releases classified files on JFK assassination. Here’s what they say…

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s administration on Tuesday released what it said were all of the government’s classified files on the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy, making thousands of pages of records available to the public for the first time.

The release of the files comes after Trump signed a day one executive order in January aimed at fully releasing government documents related to the assassinations of Kennedy, his brother and presidential candidate Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, D-N.Y., and civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr.

The contents of the documents, and whether any previously unreleased information is in them, wasn’t immediately clear. USA TODAY will continue reviewing the files and updating this story.

“This could be a joke of a release, or it could be a breakthrough. We just won’t know until we have time to process them,” said Jefferson Morley, author of the JFK Facts newsletter and three books on the CIA that portray the agency’s involvement in the events leading up to the assassination.

The documents are not expected to change the long-held findings that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in assassinating Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963 while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas.

Part of Trump’s promise of ‘maximum transparency’ at the nation’s intelligence agencies
Trump himself did not immediately post about the document release. But Tulsi Gabbard, Trump’s director of National Intelligence, hailed their release, saying it was part of Trump’s promise for “maximum transparency and a commitment to rebuild the trust of the American people in the Intelligence Community (IC) and federal agencies.”

Critics have long accused the intelligence community, and CIA in particular, of withholding potentially revelatory information about the case. Still, intelligence officials over the years have insisted that they have released everything important and that what’s left was withheld only to protect highly classified sources and methods of gathering intelligence and protecting sources.

In a statement, Gabbard said that she immediately sent out a directive across the intelligence community after Trump’s Monday announcement ordering everyone to provide all unredacted records within the collection of documents about Kennedy’s assassination the national archives for immediate release.

JFK file experts said those documents almost certainly have all been made public and viewed already, but with mostly minor redactions.

Not all documents posted online Tuesday night
The documents were released just before 7 p.m.

The National Archives and Records Administration, the keeper of the documents, posted them with this statement:

“In accordance with President Donald Trump’s directive of March 17, 2025, all records previously withheld for classification that are part of the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection are released.”

The National Archives said it partnered with agencies across the federal government to comply with the President’s directive in support of Executive Order 14176. It said the records are available to access either online or in person, via hard copy or on analog media formats, at the National Archives at College Park, Maryland.

“As the records continue to be digitized, they will be posted to this page,” the National Archives said, suggesting that not all of the documents were being released on Tuesday in digital form.

The National Archives also said some information might still be withheld under court seal or for grand jury secrecy, and because some tax return information is subject to Internal Revenue Code prohibitions.

More: Trump’s release of assassination docs opens window into nation’s most debated mysteries

‘People have been waiting for decades for this’
The digital document dump came one day after Trump announced the files would be released during a visit to the John F. Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts, which he’s taken over as board chairman.

“People have been waiting for decades for this,” Trump told reporters.

“We have a tremendous amount of paper. You’ve got a lot of reading,” Trump added. “I don’t believe we’re going to redact anything.”

The CIA and Federal Bureau of Investigation, which were involved in JFK assassination investigations and in the document release, had no immediate comment.

A mad Justice Department scramble to meet Trump’s deadline
Trump’s order reportedly set off a scramble within the Justice Department’s National Security Division to meet Trump’s deadline, according to ABC News and Reuters.

In an email just before 5 p.m. ET Monday, a senior official within DOJ’s Office of Intelligence said that even though the FBI had already conducted “an initial declassification review” of the documents, “all” of the attorneys in the operations section now had to provide “a second set of eyes” to help with this “urgent NSD-wide project.,” ABC News reported Tuesday.

More: Task force on government secrets to interview ‘witnesses’ of JFK assassination

The process of releasing the files was set in motion on Trump’s first day in office on Jan. 20, when he signed an executive order aimed at fully releasing all government documents related to the assassinations of Kennedy, his brother and presidential candidate Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, D-N.Y., and civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr.

A new FBI tranche of 2,400 JFK records
Last month, the FBI said it found some 2,400 new records linked to Kennedy’s assassination as well.

The agency said it was in the process of passing the documents to the National Archives and Records Administration. It’s unclear what revelations, if any, are contained in the newly discovered files.

Kennedy’s assassination has long been the subject of conspiracies after Oswald, the Marine veteran identified as Kennedy’s assassin, was shot and killed days later.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Trump’s Health and Human Services secretary, has called for release of the files to see if any U.S. officials were involved in the assassination or potential coverup. Several U.S. investigations had found no such evidence.

While millions of government records related to the Kennedy assassination have been previously released, some information remains classified and redacted. Trump said he instructed his director of national intelligence, Tulsi Gabbard, to oversee the release of the remaining files.

More: FBI finds 2,400 new documents linked to JFK assassination

A federal law passed in 1992 required the Kennedy assassination records to be fully released by Oct. 26, 2017 unless the president at the time determined their release would cause “identifiable harm” to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or conduct of foreign relations of such gravity that it “outweighs the public interest in disclosure.”

Trump was president when the 2017 deadline arrived. He ordered the release of nearly 2,900 records, but kept others secret because of concerns by the CIA and FBI that their release could hurt national security.

Former President Joe Biden acted in 2021, 2022 and 2023 to give agencies more time to review the records.

The documents released in 2017 included details on the FBI and CIA investigations into Oswald and information on covert Cold War operations.

Josh Meyer is USA TODAY’s Domestic Security Correspondent. You can reach him by email at jmeyer@usatoday.com. Follow him on X at @JoshMeyerDC and Bluesky at @joshmeyerdc.bsky.social.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS4 hours ago

HOT NEWS: William couldn’t hold back his tears when Princess Anne revealed King Charles’ FINAL WISH: “Sorry for”….

NEWS11 hours ago

JUST IN:Prince William Just Hired Princess Diana’s Divorce Lawyers — But Here’s the AMAZING REASON….see more

NEWS15 hours ago

EXCLUSIVE: Real Reason Behind Why Alec Baldwin Won’t Walk Away From ‘Humiliating’ Marriage to Hilaria — Despite her Public Mockery and ‘Forcing Him into Desperate Reality Show Cash-Grab’…see more

NEWS16 hours ago

JUST IN:THREE MAJOR SCANDALS Melania Trump Can Never Erase From Her Reputation…see more

NEWS16 hours ago

Congratulations, Kate! The DNA test results of Lilibet have confirmed the long-standing rumors: “Lilibet Diana’s biological parents are actually…” See more below

NEWS17 hours ago

Nflcelebrity news:Jason Kelce Makes ‘Overwhelming’ Admission After Birth of Fourth Child…see more details 👇

NEWS1 day ago

30 MINUTES AGO! Unable to hold back his tears, William was forced to reveal the name of the “type of cancer” that King Charles had: “The time has come when the royal family can no longer hide it…” – Know More Below…👇👇

NEWS1 day ago

Donald Trump Faces Lawsuit Over Isaac Hayes/Sam & Dave Song (‘Hold on I’m Comin’) Usage! SEE VIDEO…see more

NEWS1 day ago

BREAKING NEWS!!! Elon Musk’s two-word response to reports he’s stepping down from role in Trump administration

NEWS1 day ago

Donald Trump’s brutal remark about Prince William’s appearance after meeting him…see more

NEWS1 day ago

30 MINUTES AGO! King Charles announces that tragedy has truly struck: ‘Too heartbreaking, my Harry has been…’” – Know More Below…👇

NEWS1 day ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All coming Games After Kansas City Chiefs Announcement for This Reason……😮 In a move that has left the sports world buzzing, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially banned billionaire Elon Musk from attending any of their future games…

Copyright © 2025 USAok24